Shell Invests in Rosmari-Marjoram Gas Project in Malaysia

Shell Invests in Rosmari-Marjoram Gas Project in Malaysia

/ Oil & Gas / Thursday, 08 September 2022 13:33

Shell plc and Malaysian partner Petronas have taken a final investment decision (FID) to develop the Rosmari-Marjoram gas project, a deepwater sour gas field discovered in 2014.

Shell subsidiary Sarawak Shell Berhad (SSB) holds 80% and Petronas’ upstream unit Carigali Sdn Bhd holds the remaining 20% of the operating stake.

The Rosmari-Marjoram development is one of the strategic projects to ensure a sustained gas supply to the Petronas LNG Complex. The project comprises a remotely operated offshore platform and onshore gas plant, with infrastructure that includes one of the longest sour wet gas offshore pipelines in the world, stretching more than 200 kilometers (km). The Rosmari-Marjoram project is expected to produce 800 million standard cubic feet of gas per day (MMscf/d). Gas production has been scheduled for 2026.

Rosmari-Marjoram fields are situated 220 km off the coast of Bintulu, Sarawak, Malaysia and will be powered by renewable energy;  the offshore platform will utilize power from 240 solar panels, while the onshore plant is connected to the Sarawak grid system which is supplied mainly from hydroelectric plants. Backup resources include diesel generators and batteries.

“Rosmari-Marjoram will help to deliver a secure and reliable supply of energy, responsibly and efficiently,” said Shell Upstream Director Zoe Yujnovich. “This demonstrates our Powering Progress strategy - powering lives, generating value, and reducing emissions by using renewable energy to power Rosmari-Marjoram.”

Meanwhile, Ivan Tan, country chair and senior vice president, Upstream Malaysia, said, “The support and partnership from Petronas and the Government of Sarawak are critical to achieving this milestone with Rosmari-Marjoram. Shell has a long and proud history in Sarawak, and we look forward to contribute further to Sarawak and Malaysia’s economic growth through investments in competitive and resilient projects.”

Also read: Shell Reports Strong Q2 Results, Will Invest In Secure Energy Supplies

Also read: Qatar's Giant Gas Project Welcomes a Newcomer

Latest Issue

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.